This state funded project will improve vehicular, bicycle and pedestrian safety and reduce vehicular queues at the intersections of Main Street and West Street and Main Street and South Street. Work will include resurfacing of the intersection approaches, improved pedestrian and bicycle accommodations and access, new signage and pavement markings. A traffic signal will be installed at the Main Street and West Street intersection, which will be coordinated with the existing signals.
Main Street Improvement Project
August 8 , 2021 - Residents and Businesses: Thank you for the patience with the dust and traffic patterns. The contractor has placed base gravel in the area of full-depth reconstruction. This week, work will continue along the sidewalks at the North and West Street intersections. Another layer of stone will be placed and compacted. The paving subcontractor is expected to place the binder coat by Thursday.
East Main Street Canal Bridge: Mass DOT has placed barriers on the bridge over the canal. There is not timetable for a design and repair/replacement of the bridge.
Parking - where can I park during construction?
Project Highlights: a closer look at some of the changes to occur with the Main Street Improvement Project.
Traffic and Pedestrian Plan: conceptual overlay showing the new traffic lane pattern and the locations of crosswalks.
Plans available to view here: full set of site plans for the entire project.
Sign up for CodeRed updates here
WARE INTERSECTION IMPROVEMENTS @ MAIN STREET, WEST STREET, NORTH STREET, SOUTH STREET & CHURCH STREET.
TWO LANES OF TRAFFIC WILL BE OPEN DURING CONSTRUCTION EXCEPT WHEN CONSTRUCTION PROHIBITS SAFE TRAVEL AND TURNING.
ACCESS ALONG SIDEWALKS HAS BEEN ASSURED DURING CONSTRUCTION. These may be effected on a day by day basis.
- Water Service Extensions completed
- In-Road Drainage Structures and Pipes - Main Street completed
- 4/28-5/7: Furnish & Install In-Road Traffic Signal & Lighting Conduits
- 5/18-5/22: Furnish & Install In-Road Traffic Signal & Lighting Conduits
- 5/25-5/29: Furnish & Install In-Road Traffic Signal & Lighting Conduits
- 6/3-6/5: Remove & Reset Hydrant Pipes and Gate Boxes - Main Street
- 6/8-6/18: Furnished & Install In-road Traffic Signal & Lighting Conduits with Concrete Encasement
- 6/15-6/16: Remove & Reset In-Road Hydrant Pipes & Gates Boxes
- 6/29-7/17: Install New / Reuse Existing Granite Curbing
- October, 2021: Furnished & Install Decorative Lightpoles and LED lights - Main Street
- 7/6-7/17: Prepare Traffic Signal Equipment, Mast Arm & Pole. Location 1.
- 9/8-9/18: Excavate and gravel concrete sidewalks
- 9/14-9/25: Install concrete sidewalks
- 10/5-10/16: Install concrete sidewalks
- Work will be back filled daily, and patched with hot mix asphalt on Fridays.
- Construction timeline may change as needed due to weather, supply chains, emergencies, and COVID-19.